- The seasonal fluctuation, high chemical oxygen demands, degrees Brix, filter media and alternating pH all have a critical impact on the effective treatment on the effluent emanating from the fruit processing industry.
- The confined area of a fruit processing plant makes it critical that the effluent be treated effectively and completely removed. The effluent has to be treated and contained before being discharged into natural streams or being recycled for re-use.
- International quality control, environmental legislation and pressure to re-use water are contributing factors.
- High sugar and COD levels impacted by the variants in the pH of the effluent creates an effluent challenge which requires specialist knowledge.
- Effluent volumes resulted in unpleasant odours and water discolouration.
- CIP wash model also contributed to the quality of water and contamination thereof.